Where visa-exempt foreigners need to stay in China longer than the visa-free period, or foreign seamen and their accompanying family members need to leave the cities where the ports are located, or under other circumstances in which foreigners’ stay permits should be applied for, they shall apply for such permits in accordance with relevant regulations.
Ⅱ Legal Basis
Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People’s Republic of China
Administration Regulations of People's Republic of China on Control of Entry and Exit Foreigners
Ⅲ Application Requirements
Where foreigners fall under any of the following circumstances, the visa holder shall file an application for stay permits to the exit/entry administration of public security organ under the local people’s government at or above the county level in the place of his/her stay:
1. Visa-exempt foreigners who enter China due to non-diplomatic or official reasons and need to stay in China longer than the visa-free period;
2. Foreign seamen and their accompanying family members who need to leave cities where the ports are located;
3. Those who renounced Chinese nationality upon approval of their applications and need to stay in Chengdu;
4. Foreigners who terminate the reasons for residence and need to stay in China longer for humanitarian reasons;
5. Foreign infants born in China who need to stay;
6. Foreigners ordered to exit China within a prescribed time limit;
7. Other circumstances in which the issuing authority considers a foreigner’s stay permit should be applied;
Ⅳ Application Documents
1. Valid passport or other international travel documents, visa, entry stamp, and copies;
2. Visa Application Form;
3. Registration Form of Temporary Residence;
4. One recently taken half-length, white background, bareheaded, full-faced two-inch photo.
5. According to actual reasons:
(1) Visa-exempt foreigners who enter China due to non-diplomatic or official reasons and need to stay in China longer than the visa-free period shall provide relevant supporting materials in accordance with relevant F, J2, M, Q2, R, S2, and X2 Visa Reissuance regulations;
(2) Foreign seamen and their accompanying family members who need to leave cities where the ports are located shall provide seamen’s certificates or other international travel documents and kinship certificate provided by shipping agency and tickets (airplane, train, or steamer) with settled date and seats or other relevant supporting material as wells;
(3) Those who renounced Chinese nationality upon approval of their applications and need to stay in China shall provide Certificate of Renunciation of Chinese Nationality, foreign passport or other international travel documents and other relevant supporting materials as well;
(4) Foreigners who terminate the reasons for residence and need to stay in China longer for humanitarian reasons shall provide valid foreigners’ residence permits and relevant supporting materials;
(5) Foreign infants born in China who need to stay shall provide its birth certificates and passport, and the passports of his/her parents
6. Other documents required by the local exit/entry administrations of public security organs when necessary.
V. Duration of stay
1. Foreign seamen and their accompanying family members can apply for the stay permit with duration of stay within 30 days;
2. Applicants who terminate the reasons for residence can apply for the stay permit with duration of stay within 30 days;
3.Under other circumstances，the applicant can apply for the extension and reissuance of stay permit with appropriate duration of stay on the basis of stay purpose. The duration of stay at last shall not exceed 180 days;
4. The exit/entry administrations of public security organs shall have the discretion to determine the appropriate duration of stay on the basis of the applicant’s situation.
VI. Entrusted Application
The application of visa, the extension and reissuance of residence permit as well as stay permit are accepted by exit and entry administration of public security organs, where the applicant is required to go through relevant formalities in person and at the same time, be interviewed. Under any of the following conditions, the application may be entrusted to host organizations or individuals, relatives of the applicant, or specialized agencies:
1. The applicant is under the age of 16 or at the age of 60 or above, or has mobility difficulties for illness or other reasons;
2. The applicant has been to China before and keeps a good record of stay or residence in China;
3. Provision of guarantee measures for the expenses required in China by the host organization or individual to the applicant.
VII. Application Procedure
Consult--Fill out forms--Take queue number--Get accepted as a case--Get receipt of application document -- Print paying voucher--Pay the dues—Issue the visa
VIII. Processing Time
Within 7 workdays
1. Foreigners holding stay permits who cannot exit China in validity period of stay due to objective causes shall apply for reissuance of stay permit and submit aforementioned application documents;
2. For other notice, laws and regulations, see corresponding visa guidelines according to the stay purposes;